Welcome to Teacher GiST/BATS!
We have partnered with faculty in Tulane’s Teacher Certification program to develop GiST and BATS workshop tracks just for teachers. Through this partnership and the generosity of our donors, we are pleased to be able to offer teachers the chance to participate in 3 unique workshops at each event that align with the new Louisiana Science Standards for FREE! Participating teachers will get to experience the workshop hands on, discuss how to implement the activities and aligned standards into their classrooms, and receive both aligned curricula ideas AND supplies to bring the activities back to your school! Additionally, a $50 stipend will be given to all participating teachers. Space is limited and preference will be given to teachers from majority free or reduced lunch schools.
Teacher GiST/BATS Objectives:
- To help Louisiana middle school science teachers gain a deeper understanding of science and engineering practices; practices that are core components of the new Louisiana science standards.
- To engage teachers in hands-on, minds-on STEM experiences led by science and engineering faculty and graduate students.
- To provide middle school science teachers an opportunity to discuss the integration of standard’s-aligned lessons and learning experiences in their middle school science classrooms.
- To provide middle school science teachers with classroom kits containing guides to the workshops and the materials utilized to be utilized in their schools and classrooms.
Schedule for Teacher GiST/BATS (9:00am-3:00pm):
- 8:45-9:15 Check-in
- 8:00-9:30 Welcome table demonstrations
- 9:30-9:50 Introduction/Welcome
- 10:00-10:50 Workshop #1
- 11:00-11:50 Workshop #2
- 12:00-12:50 Lunch/Engineering Design Challenge (We will have pizza, chips, and water available. Please plan accordingly if you need an alternative meal.)
- 1:00-1:50 Workshop #3
- 2:00-3:00 Collaborative Planning
Teachers of any gender are invited to attend the teacher workshops at both BATS (2/9) and GiST (3/30) – we will be doing different teacher workshops at each event.
If you are also interested in bringing a group of students to GiST and/or BATS, please register your group here.
For questions, please email email@example.com.